Hair loss is the loss of hair from the head or body. It involves the progressive thinning and shedding of hair over time. Hair loss can affect people of any age but is most common in men over the age of 50 years. Hair loss in women is less severe.
There are multiple impacts of hair loss, including self-esteem and social issues. Persons experiencing hair loss often find it psychologically debilitating. There are many different types of treatment options available for hair loss so we recommend consultations with aesthetic doctors on this page: (https://harmonyaesthetics.sg/hair-loss-treatment-singapore/) so you can know your options. Typical treatment options include; medication, supplements, topical application, and laser therapy that can be used in conjunction with each other to effectively treat this condition.
Causes of Hair Loss
There are a bucket load of reasons why people tend to lose their hair. Discussed below are the most common causes of hair loss.
- “Hereditary hair loss “: This is one of the most common forms of hair loss, and it affects a large percentage of Singaporeans. It involves a progressive thinning and shedding of hair over time, eventually leading to baldness
- Medication: Taking medication can sometimes cause temporary or permanent hair loss as a side effect of treatment for another condition. Such medications include chemotherapy, blood pressure pills, and birth control pills
- Medical conditions: There are also some medical conditions that might cause people to experience temporary or permanent hair loss, such as an underactive thyroid gland, Cushing’s disease, lupus, and alopecia areata
- Chemicals: Exposure to harmful chemicals can cause hair loss. Some of the chemical substances that may eventually lead to hair loss include arsenic, manganese oxide, selenium sulfide shampoo for dandruff treatment, and nitrate-based fertilizer
- Emotional stress: The emotional stress we come under often causes hormone levels in our body to fluctuate, and this also affects and is one of the most important factors involved in triggering hair loss conditions like telogen effluvium
- Cancer treatment: Chemotherapy is one of the most common causes of hair loss as it affects all rapidly-dividing cells that include hair follicles in our scalp
- Aging: As we age, many people experience thinning and greying of their hair accompanied by bald patches, which means hair loss conditions like alopecia areata increases with age, according to studies done on this matter.
Treatment options for Hair Loss
There is a myriad of options for hair loss treatment in Singapore that can help you successfully treat hair loss conditions. As is the case with any condition, you may need multiple appointments with the doctor before you see any improvement.
During the initial consultations, the doctor may inquire about your medical history, lifestyle habits, and other important factors that may be contributing to your hair loss. Common treatment options that may be recommended for you include;
- Medication: Minoxidil or Rogaine is used in men, while Ketoconazole shampoo is often prescribed for women suffering from alopecia areata. These medications are applied directly onto the scalp throughout treatment periods to help stimulate the growth of new hairs. Unfortunately, these medications do not work for all people with hair loss conditions, so you should speak with an experienced aesthetic doctor about potential side effects before proceeding.
- Hair transplant surgery: This involves removing cells known as follicles from one part of your body to another part where each cell regenerates into full-fledged hair. However, you need to have a large number of donor hairs available for this treatment to be successful.
- Scalp reduction surgery: In cases where there is extensive hair loss on the head, doctors may recommend scalp reduction surgery. During a rededication procedure, a doctor will remove bald or thinning areas from the head and sew them together again to create a thicker area of skin where new hairs can grow from. The downside to this treatment option is that it often leaves scars behind.
- Scalp expansion surgery: Another surgical treatment known as scalp expansion surgery, which is often used in people with hair loss conditions like alopecia totalis or Universalis, can also produce satisfactory results when you consider the alternatives available. Under this procedure, a doctor makes an incision on the back of your head and then stretches the skin until it forms enough space to accommodate new hairs that may grow from donor follicles that are eventually transplanted into the head through small openings made for each graft.
- Laser light therapy: This is one of the newest treatments available in Singapore today, which involves a series of sessions where laser light is passed through the scalp to stimulate the growth of new hairs with less pain and discomfort. This treatment works best when used alongside other medications.
How to Choose the Best Hair Loss Treatment for You
The option you choose for hair loss treatment in Singapore will depend on your unique situation, your budget, and expectations. A lot of people choose medications alone, while some people prefer surgery or therapies. Therefore, it is advisable to meet with a specialist who can discuss each of the available options so that you can make an informed decision about which one is best for you.
If you are thinking about hair transplant surgery in Singapore, be sure to find out more information about this procedure, including its costs, before taking any further step towards undergoing the procedure because it may end up costing you more than what you can afford. If money is not an issue, then go ahead, but if it’s your first time considering hair transplant surgery, there are other things worth considering, like donor availability and treatment outcomes.
While you might know that losing your hair is just a normal part of the aging process, unfortunately, this is not something that most people can easily accept. Today, many treatment options are available to help speed up the growth of new hairs, including medications, scalp reduction surgery, scalp expansion surgery, and laser light therapy. Anyone of these treatment options may be suitable for you, but it’s best to discuss them with a doctor before proceeding with any one of them so that you can make an informed decision about how to proceed with your situation.
The Bottom Line
Regardless of whether or not you choose to undergo a hair loss treatment in Singapore, the key takeaway message is to make sure you understand what you are getting into before proceeding with any one of your treatment options. This way, you can avoid further heartache and emotional stress later on when it comes time to part with your hard-earned money.
At Harmony Aesthetics Clinic, we offer a wide range of hair loss treatment options, including medical treatments, laser light therapy, and many others. We also have a team of doctors who can help you choose the most suitable one for your needs, so be sure to contact us today at +656970 5418 or email us at email@example.com if you would like more information about our services.
Harmony Aesthetics Clinic Singapore
101 Irrawaddy Rd, #09-01 Royal Square @ Novena, Singapore 329565
+65 6970 5418