Reproductive health is an essential aspect of physical, mental as well as social well-being. Fertility evaluation includes exams and tests to try to find the causes of why a couple is not able to conceive. If you live in Hyderabad and are undergoing fertility treatments for IVF, then IVF doctors in Hyderabad may suggest different fertility tests. Fertility tests play a key role in fertility evaluation and treatment. Through different fertility testing, doctors can find out the reasons that are putting a couple back from achieving pregnancy. Before undergoing any kind of fertility treatment, it is essential to perform certain fertility tests. Fertility Testing is done to evaluate the reasons for infertility in both the male and the female partner.
Fertility tests or women
A detailed history will be taken about your menstrual cycle, pregnancy history, etc. A physical examination may include a pelvic examination to check any kind of genital infections that may be contributing to infertility. Also, blood tests will be performed to check the levels of female hormones, prolactin, thyroid hormones, as well as for hepatitis and HIV.
- Ovulation testing – this is the primary infertility diagnosis done to check the presence and pattern of ovulation.
- Ultrasound diagnosis – this is performed to check the uterus and ovaries for the existence of any uterine abnormalities, fibroids, endometriosis, cysts, etc., which can contribute to infertility.
HSG test (Hysterosalpingography) or Saline Sonosalpingography for tubal evaluation to assess if there are any blockages in the fallopian tubes. Also, this HSG treatment helps doctors determine issues with the uterine cavity that can be causing issues in the implantation of an embryo. HSG test cost in India may differ depending on the location as well as the problems associated. You can consult an expert to clear your queries about the HSG test procedure.
- Hormonal evaluation – this can be performed to evaluate endocrine problems and ovarian reserve testing.
- Diagnostic Hystero-Laparoscopy – this infertility diagnosis procedure is done for treating the patients as well as to identify if there is any problem inside the abdomen that can’t be diagnosed on ultrasound
- Laparoscopy – This is performed to evaluate endometriosis, scarring, and other conditions.
Fertility tests as a part of diagnosis and infertility treatment for males
- General screening and medical history- General physical examination, a genital examination, and medical history are made to evaluate hereditary illnesses, sexual habits, chronic health problems, surgeries, medications, injuries, etc. which can be affecting fertility.
- Semen Analysis – this is the most important investigation, which comprises of measuring quality and quantity, that is, number of sperms, movement of sperms, shape, etc. Semen analysis tests are done over time for getting accurate results, as sperm counts vary considerably from one sample to the next. Additional tests may be advised for infections
- Hormonal testing- This is another important infertility test to check functional capacities to produce sperms and other hormonal abnormalities
- Genetic tests – In certain cases, genetic tests are suggested for severe male factor abnormality to detect several congenital or inherited syndromes.
- Testicular Biopsy – this test is performed to check the existence of sperms in the testis in cases of Azoospermia (no sperms in semen sample).
- Post-ejaculation urinalysis- this test is performed to check the presence of sperms in urine. The presence of sperms in urine can be an indication of semen flowing back to the bladder instead of flowing out through the penis during ejaculation.
It is essential to understand that tests depend on a patient’s conditions and associated problems. Your doctor will guide you regarding your conditions and the most appropriate fertility tests and treatments for you. Fertility tests let couples work with doctors to develop effective fertility treatment strategies.