A decade ago,the idea of consulting a doctor through video conferencing would, without a doubt, be met with a lot of skepticism and raised eyebrows – not because the technology is too ahead of its time but because of our innate preference for human connection and the continuity of care that it provides. It was almost a conditioned response: if someone gets sick, they visit a doctor. Simple and no questions asked.
Fast forward to 2017 when the healthcare system in Singapore went through a paradigm shift and started to pilot video consultations and telemedicine. There were six public health institutions that implemented the system and between 2017 and the start of 2020, only 1,947 patients utilized the service. By January 2021, the number of patients had reached 36,000 – a staggering rise that is attributed to the COVID-19 pandemic lockdown and restrictions. As more people hop on the trends, the adoption rate of medical mobile apps like Speedoc has increased as well. One common question remains, though: what is the cost of teleconsult doctor services at Speedoc? Read this article to learn about the costs, benefits, and more!
First things first: what is Speedoc?
Speedoc is a mobile application that allows a patient to request a doctor to their location of choice. If you want to simplify the concept, you can think of it as a ride service like Grab, but for doctors! Whether it is for yourself or another patient, a doctor can be requested via the app or by calling the Singapore or Klang Valley/Greater Kuala Lumpur patient support lines. Speedoc is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and that includes public holidays.
Speedoc believes in providing high quality care so all Speedoc doctors are Singapore-licensed and registered with the Singapore Medical Council (SMC). Furthermore, a thorough vetting and background process check is conducted before a doctor is allowed to perform house calls as a Speedoc doctor.
Aside from being able to schedule a doctor or nurse’s home visit through the mobile app, Speedoc offers a variety of options including hospital care at home, private ambulance booking, urgent medical care for non-life-threatening conditions (for example, chest pains, fever, cough, sore throat, minor cuts, etc.), chronic care, health screening, COVID-19 swab tests and pre-event testing, and last but not the least, a telemedicine services.
How does Speedoc’steleconsult option work?
If you have a cold or fever and would rather stay at home than go out to see a doctor, you can still have the symptoms checked and receive proper prescription using Speedoc’steleconsult option. Using the app, a video consultation with a Singapore-licensed doctor can be scheduled. Your symptoms will be assessed by a doctor and if needed, they can also fast-track specialist referrals and medicine refills during the process. No need to worry about the medical certificate, either! The online doctor will determine if an online MC is clinically applicable and prepare it after the consultation.
And forget about queueing for hours outside the doctor’s office. The usual waiting time for an online doctor consultation takes about 15 minutes. You can also use the Speedoc app to schedule a video consultation appointment at your available time.
How much does a teleconsult session cost at Speedoc?
Most people are surprised by the fact that a teleconsult session at Speedoc is reasonably-priced. A 30-minute session starts from S$20 and if a patient’s condition requires a same-day followup home visit by a doctor, the teleconsult cost will be waived.After the consultation, Speedoc also offers same-day medicine delivery that is free of charge.
What are the benefits of using teleconsult services?
In a nutshell, if you think about the time, effort, and resources that you have saved by using Speedoc, you will realize that the value of the service is worth far more than the amount that you are paying for.Speedoc guarantees:
- Comfort and convenience: no more drives or commutes to go to the doctor’s office or clinic and no more sitting anxiously at the waiting room while you are sick – with Speedoc’s Teleconsult service, you can talk to a doctor from the comfort of your own bed. For those who are busy, a virtual consultation is also easier to fit in the schedule, so there is no need to take time off from work or arrange for childcare.
- Easy access to specialists: one of the many advantages of using Speedoc is the option to fast-track referral to specialist. Speedoc has its own online network of trusted medical specialists so you do not have to worry about finding the right one.
- Extra security against infectious diseases: teleconsult sessions protect both doctors and patients from unnecessary exposure to flu, colds, COVID-19, and the likes. And apart from preventing the spread of infectious diseases, less exposure to harmful pathogens also safeguards patients who are pregnant, elderly, immunocompromised, or chronically ill.
- Lower cost: healthcare services are generally expensive – that is a fact. Unless a person has excellent health insurance coverage (or if universal health care is in place, which is, unfortunately, not always the case), the costs may cause a dent in the pocket. One of the good things about teleconsult is that it is typically cheaper than an in-person visit. Less out-of-pocket costs mean better access to quality health care.
- Support for chronic care patients: for patients living with chronic conditions, the time that it takes to get medical intervention may spell the difference between life or death. Through close monitoring by a team of doctors and nurses, Speedoc offers home management for chronic diseases like hypertension, diabetes, thyroid disorder, and high cholesterol.
- Reduced anxiety: let us admit it – not everyone is a fan of visiting the doctor’s office or clinic. And it is not just about being worried about the results of the check-up or test. Some people get anxious by the thought of being exposed to germs or other people (sick or not), and this prevents them from seeking proper care. Teleconsult sessions help ease that anxiety by proving medical support without having to leave home.
For more questions on teleconsult services, you can visit the Speedoc website, or you can also download the app to see how it works.
8 Kaki Bukit Ave 1, #04-06, Singapore 417941
+65 6909 7799